In Autumn 2013, Colony Club built upon it’s stellar reputation of personalised service, popular Bajan plantation home feel and it’s outstanding culinary offerings.
The new concept focuses on relaxation, restoring mind and body, healthy eating, togetherness and minimising impact on the local environment. Muted decor, soft lighting, natural wood and earthy tones convey the relaxed old-world feel of the property which is accentuated by splashes of vivid colour for a truly Barbadian vibe.
There are new additions to the resort including an organic garden, redesigned Laguna restaurant serving local cuisine and new family offerings, as well as new activity programmes both in resort and on island to stimulate and soothe guests’ body, mind and soul all while ensuring that Colony Club continues to deliver what guests have come to look forward to from the resort; a great beach experience, personalised service and a wonderfully relaxing holiday.
Colony Club’s premium accommodations reveal a high-end plantation estate feel through the refurbishment of its 46 Ocean View, Luxury Ocean View and Luxury Poolside rooms
- The design preserved the residential plantation home feel while upgrading furniture and fixtures to a modern-classic finish
- Focus was on comfort & relaxation with an emphasis on custom made warm-wooden furniture, most with four poster beds and French doors leading to private patios or balconies with stunning sea or lagoon pool views
- All rooms have natural skincare, bath and body products and in-room fitness amenities including personal yoga mats and use of the in-room fitness channel
- Elegant design include: Two-tone, earthy design with local touches, Bajan style coralstone walls & Whitewashed [pickled] wood ceilings
- Modern luxuries include: High thread count linen, New flat screen TV’s, iPod stations, Free WiFi, Stocked minibar
Guests staying in Luxury Oceanview rooms or One Bedroom Suites also enjoy Nespresso machines and a range of local organic teas as well as aromatherapy scents created locally, combining the refreshing and relaxing tones of ylang ylang and lemongrass.
The Laguna restaurant also received an extensive make-over. The look and feel of the restaurant maintained a modern yet sophisticated look whist still maintaining the Bajan charm of this much loved dining locale.
- Dramatic centerpieces draping from the high ceilings and contemporary screens create an intimate ambiance in this covered open-air restaurant.
- New Laguna Bar located in the center of the restaurant with views over the pool and deck area. During the day, coffees, teas and juices are served and transform into an atmospheric evening cocktail bar at night
- All of the restaurant meals are carefully created by the Executive Chef, and wherever possible, incorporate seasonal produce in the dishes to ensure the restaurant uses the freshest ingredients with the fullest flavor, complemented by herbs and seasoning from its own organic gardens.
- The menus are tailored to incorporate the local cuisine and aim to provide a delicious, tasty meal that is seasonally-inspired with the fresh appeal of the farmer’s market.
- New menus feature healthy dining options for breakfast, snacks, lunch and dinner
Green fingered enthusiasts will delight in the new feature at Colony Club; the Organic Garden. The natural space hosts a variety of fresh produce including herbs, fruits, vegetables and flowers, all of which are used on the menus and floral displays in the Laguna restaurant.
The intimate garden venue serves as the location for complimentary tours by Colony Club chefs who will harvest seasonal produce for a cookery demonstration for guests in the new Laguna restaurant enabling aspiring chefs to return home with a new appreciation for the techniques and flavours of Barbadian cuisine armed with tips on how to recreate Colony Club masterpieces.
Enhanced Activity Schedule
Colony Club is a resort where guests can do as much or as little as they please and the management team at the property have created a new activity schedule that offers something for everyone and every interest, from sun worshippers, to sports fanatics; dedicated foodies to culture vultures; the new activities on offer allow guests to be as busy or as quiet as their hearts desire.
- Watersports – guests at Colony Club can take advantage of the free watersports including sailing, skiing and kayaking. There are also stand-up paddleboarding tours along the coast to spot sea turtles.
- Healthy mind and body – guests are free to choose from a daily sesson of complimentary yoga, pilates or Tai Chi.
- Fishing trips – a Colony Club chef takes guests out to fish for a catch of the day and will even cook it for them to savour.
- Historial walking tour of Holetown – Colony Club is a short walk from the small but vibrant Holetown and Colony Club’s team will guide guests around the town to reveal its intriguing history as well as point out all the modern hot spots.
- Bespoke island tour – for guests that can be prised away from their colonial haven, Colony Club offers bespoke tours of Barbados to local treasures including the magnificent St Nicholas Abbey and hidden gem Hunte’s Garden.
- Rum tour (available to guests at an additional charge) – Barbados is famed for being the birthplace of rum and this new exclusive tour takes in the very best the island has to offer including visiting traditional plantation houses, a boutique distillery, a trip to the world famous Mount Gay Rum centre and finished off with some tastings with the locals in a few rum shops.
New Family Focus
As always, children are treated like VIPs at Colony Club. On their first evening at the resort, children up to nine years of age are presented with a Colony Club turtle soft toy to cuddle up with at night whilst they sit in their mini robes and enjoy their plate of cookies before their holiday adventure gets underway. Children can look forward to a fun packed activity schedule including watersports and land based activities which are designed to be enjoyable and educational. All children are encouraged to uncover the clues about their new turtle friend on the ‘Fun Facts About Turtles’ worksheet as well as pay close attention to their surroundings for the ‘Did You Know Barbados?’ fact-finding game.
For families with children under the age of two, Colony Club ensures that parents can rest easy with a bespoke baby pack which includes natural baby bath and skin products, a comfortable full crib and a musical mobile on request.
Colony Club’s mission is to involve employees and guests in the common goal of preserving and protecting the planet and Elegant Hotels Group is committed to enhance and protect the beautiful island of Barbados where it operates. Colony Club already uses solar power for water, recycles glass and cooking oils and has new measures in place to minimise energy consumption. The addition of the organic garden and use of more natural products in the rooms is a further step towards the commitment to corporate social responsibility.
A lasting connection with the native sea turtles that bury their nests on the hotel’s beach, Colony Club supports the vision of the Barbados Sea Turtle Project to restore local marine turtle populations to levels at which they can fulfill their ecological roles. Through educational talks, beach cleanup days and charity donations, the hotel helps to raise awareness amongst guests and employees of these endangered species. Hotel guests are able to get involved in supporting these efforts from volunteering their own services, donating their own monetary contributions or assisting the professionals with the hatchling release programme on Colony Club beach during the hatching season.
The team at Colony Club is also committed to helping young Barbadians with learning disabilities by adopting a school “The Learning Center” and providing volunteer services, donating items and assisting with fundraising and special projects as well as as providing work experience opportunities for students.